RX-7 Alpine?

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RX-7 Alpine?
From: Anita & Jim Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 23:05:43 -0400
At 09:18 pm 4/22/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi,
>I would like to have some input on the Mazda rx7 powered alpine's that have
>been done.
>I have a chance to buy a 1982 mazda rx7 with 92,000 miles on drivetrain.
>Price for this car as asking = 300.00
>

>My question's are the following :
>
>What are the strong and weak points of the rx7 drivetrain and such ??
>
>this car has the 5-speed with hydraulic clutch , did they hold up well ??
>
>did you use the same alpine rearend ??
>
>How about parts cost for the rx7 motor ?? and can you tell me how much
>horsepower they produce ??
>
>what is the weight of the motor compared to the alpine motor ??
>
>what problems did you have doing this swap ??
>
>any suggestions ????????????????????
>
>also, any performance parts for the rotory engine ??
>
>I don't want to cut up my alpine just to get a little more POWER ! this is
>the reason for my thought on this swap.......... any info would help me
>decide, thanks alot, Todd.
>Todd "HURRICANE" Harrington
>RIDE HARD & DIE FREE !

Tod,
        My neighbor has an RX-7 and he had major problems with the clutch
disk.  It distroyed its self 3 times in one year.  He first replaced the
pressure
plate and disk with a rebuilt( and turned the flywheel).  It failed within a
month.  He distroyed 2 new pressure plates and clutches.  The third new set
is so far holding.  ( He has a teen-age boy who claims that he drives it
very carefully).  The hydraulic clutch and master cylinder were rebuilt
twice.  Note that the flywheel is held on by a BIG metric nut that is also
locktite-ed.  You will need a torch to heat the nut and a fixture to hold
the fly
wheel before you get the nut loose.  I built my neighbor a fixture out of
an old Alpine axle and a 1/4" steel plate with holes to mate with the pressure
plate bolt holes in the fly wheel.  The axle rests on the floor to hold the
flywheel while you try to get the nut loose; 4 days with a big hammer or
2 minutes with a torch to heat the nut enough to loosen the locktite.
        He has the whole car for sell at $500.

 There are a number of dual over head valve 4 bangers in the 2000 cc
range that put out impressive power.  Both USA and Japan.  Check these
out before you go to a rotory.  The Ford 2000cc Zetec in the 97 Escort and
Contour is rated as 125 HP.  It is what is being used in Formula Ford open
wheel racing.  Dodge also has a good one.  Just don't use a Chev as that is
a sin
against Alpines and Tigers!  Tigers had Ford motors and Chrysler bought Roots so
Fords and Dodges should be blessed.
Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others