I Found a Second Morale to the Story!

To: marrone@wco.com (Frank Marrone)
Subject: I Found a Second Morale to the Story!
From: Allan Connell <alcon@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 15:33:28 -0700
At 12:15 AM 5/13/97 -0700, Frank Marrone wrote:
>Before abandoning the electric set up did you try driving with the fan wired
>on?  If that cured the problem then a lower set point on the thermostat or a
>better thermostat location may have helped.

Frank and All,

You know, I have thought of just running the electric fan all of the time;
just have not tried it yet.  It is a HAYDEN fan and does indeed move a
great deal of air.  The  way I have it set-up now is with a "fixed"
thermostat set to kick in at 185 degrees.  The unit came with a relay that
allows one to connect to a more modern vehicles air condidtioning switch,
so that when you turn on the air conditioning it overides the thermostat
and starts the electric fan.  Obviously I just substituted a toggle switch
hidden under the dash as this "override" switch....works great.  Current
thermostat location is as suggested by Hayden, 3-4" from the inlet to the
radiator.  That is of course predicated on the fact that I have it
installed on the inlet side.....upper hose on the drivers side is the inlet
to the best of my recollection...don't hesitate to shout if I have this
wrong too!!

>In general I think electric is the way to go if you don't need  stock
>appearance.  I'm not saying they are a cure for the Tiger cooling woes but

The appearance is really not all that bad....one has to look very close to
see the electric fan.

>they are lighter than and don't wear the water pump like the stock fan.

Currently running a six-blade SS flex fan.

>They should move a lot of air at idle although if it just circulates back to
>the inlet that won't do you much good.
>
>I only assume they should work on a Tiger since I don't remember seeing any.
>Anybody else running electric fans on their Tigers?

As I did not make it real clear on the earlier e-mail message, I should
now.  The REAL problem turned out to be a gauge that reads HIGH by 20+
degrees....in my quest to solve the percieved problem of heat, I over
looked the obvious....using a temperature probe to verify the mechanical
water temp gauge I trusted more than any stock water temp gauge!  Duh!!
Remember, I missed the real clue: no expulsion of water from the reserve
tank.....matter of fact, I drove the car today....the gauge read up to
235-240 degrees and it STILL did not expell water from the copper reserve
tank (yes, it is topped off correctly).  Second morale to the story (for
me) is: Look first to the obvious.

>Frank Marrone          MK I Tiger B9471116
>marrone@wco.com        1966 LTD
>                       Series I Alpine  "fix me"
>                       Yamaha Seca 900

Thanks Frank and All for your interest, input, theories, stories, advice
and most especially, your sense of humor.

Regards,

Allan
B9472373 (yup! he lives vicariously through his Tigger!)