Re: Heat Shield??

To: Tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Heat Shield??
From: rootes@ix.netcom.com
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 00:34:44 -0700
Allan Connell wrote:

> The headers on my Tiger run within about two inches of the clutch slave.
> Obviously, wtih a great deal of heat coming off of the headers, the fluid
> (new Castrol stuff....supposed to be better heat rated than DOT 5) becomes
> more "compressable" as I drive and the clutch does not disengage quite as
> well as when cold.
>
> Does anyone have any recomendations??  I have thought of putting
> header-wrap on the portion of the header that passes by the slave, but have
> been counseled away from that idea by a header shop who said it would cause
> premature failure of the headers.
>

> Appreicate any and all advice.
>
> Regards,
>
> Allan
> B9472373

Allan and fellow Rootsers:
I wrapped the headers on my long departed (sold, unfortunately) 66
Tiger.I did it for different reasons, in my case I had installed air
conditioning (which worked pretty well!) and I wanted to keep the heat
from the pipes out of the passenger compartment as much as possible.

The product I used was made by Thermotech. Let me tell you, it really
works. You won't want to do this all day, but you can put your hands on
the headers wrapped with Thermotech, with the motor running, and get
away with it. It made for a dramatic decrease in engine compartment
heat, more heat goes through the pipes to the exhaust (making a bit more
horsepower?), and you're noticeably cooler in the passenger compartment.
I ended up buying more and even wrapping the pipes, and the mufflers,
all the way back almost to the exhaust tips. This really made a
difference in passenger compartment temperature, plus kept the fuel pump
cooler.

The only downside to me is it's not real pretty looking stuff. Kind of
looks like an emergency bandage to wrap a strained wrist. Plus, wear a
dust mask when putting it on. It has fiberglass in it and it fluffs off
into the air during install. It wasn't much fun breathing that in until
I read the instructions again! After the engine runs the first time
after install, the tape heats up and "cures" and no more flying
fiberglass at all.

To me, the benefits, including keeping your clutch slave much cooler,
far outweighed the possible slight shortening of the headers life cycle.
I had Thermotech on for about four years with no ill effects to the
headers as far as I know.

Good luck!!
Steve Sage