Tiger radiators in V6 Alpines

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Tiger radiators in V6 Alpines
From: Anita & Jim Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 20:01:48 -0400
At 12:49 pm 5/27/97 CDT, you wrote:
> Jim,
>You kindly sent me a note describing your v6 alpine.  About cooling,
>you said:
>
>>     After problems with over heating using the original Alpine ( modified)
>>radiator I put an old Tiger radiator in it and now there is no problem.
>
>Question:  Does the Tiger radiator bolt right in place of the Alpine
>radiator, or were some mounting modifications necessary?
>Also, did you swap any inlets/outlets around on the radiator to better
>line-up with the water pipes on the v6?
>
>Thanks,
>gale

Gale,
        The Tiger radiator bolts in with no problem.  I did modify the I/O.
I removed
the lower right water connection and plugged the hole with soldered in brass
plate.
The removed connection was moved to the right top.  The left top water
connection
was removed and replaced with an old MG B filler tube/ radiator cap.  The 1"
fitting
for the expansion tank was blocked off.  The previous upper left water
fitting was
relocated to the lower left.  The vent tube in the upper left was blocked off.
I did not have a spare expansion tank; otherwise the 1" fitting and vent tube
would have been reused.  The Upper hose is an ??? AU 35200 H ????. Sorry I can't
read the number except for the middle part.  Can't remember the brand or part
number.  It is a molded hose cut to fit.  Note that the Tiger water fitting
is bigger
than the Caprii  top water fitting.  I added a 1-1/2" piece of hose over the
Caprii
fitting and then put the radiator hose over it.  No leaks.   The lower left
hose is about 3"
of streight hose from the Caprii over a copper 90 degree plumbing elbow. Another
3" streight hose goes from the fitting to the lower radiator water fitting.
I put 3 hose
clamps on the final fitting because the copper elbow had a tendency to come
out. No
problem with 3 clamps.  I use a cheap plastic overflow container connected
via a
small hose to the tube near the radiator cap.  The hose goes into the container
at the top and extends down to the bottom.  The bottom of the hose has an angle
cut to allow water in and out.  Do not recommend any cheap overflow that had
the tube fitting on the bottom.  It can get clogged up to easy and the water
will not
return to the radiator after the motor cools.
      Remember to vent the Caprii at or near the upper hose when first
filling it
 or major overheating will be the result of the air lock in the top of the
heads/block.

Jim Barrett Tiger II 351 C and others ( including V6 Alpine)