302 Insertion

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 302 Insertion
From: Anita & Jim Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 1997 22:26:11 -0400
At 08:05 am 6/1/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Assistance!
>I'm new to the mailing list.  In September I bought a '66 Tiger.  Needs
>work but is all there.  Has been in storage since the early 80s.
>
>I'm looking into changing the very tired 260 (125K+) to a fresh 302.
>What are the pitfalls?  What fits?  What doesn't? Bellhousing, exhaust,
>firewall, etc.
>
>I appreciate any tips.
>
>Tym McDowell

Tym,
        Some 260s had 5 bolt bell housings.  The 302 has 6 bolts.  If you
have the 5 bolt, then you will have to replace the bell housing.  Get a 302
with regular V belts; not the ribbed kind.  You may have to swap the 260
water pump pully and crank pully to fit. Check the bolt pattern on the
260 and 302 crank pully.  The 260 may have 3 bolts and the 302 may have 4.
In general the 302 is a drop in fit.  Of course you pull the motor and
transmission as a set and reinstall the same way.  If you are thinking
of using an automatic transmission then be prepared to do major
surgry to the sheet metal of the floor and hump.
        As there is little clearance between the valve cover and the
firewall, don't get a set of tall aftermarket valve covers.  The exhaust
manifolds of the 260 will fit the 302.  Recommend that you port
the exhaust manifolds to match the 302 exhaust ports or get a
set of headers.
       The motor mounts should be a direct match if you use
the old style rubber mounts ( 64 Ford I think).  The more
modern ( and safer) 302 mounts may not fit.
        Have your radiator re-cored with a modern core and
get a  thicker core as well if possible.  A good radiator
shop should be able to streach the end tanks 1/2" wider
without any problem.
        The water pump flange on the 260 is pushed back
and reversed to clear the radiator.  I take the rear plate off
the water pump and then press the flange back while supporting
the end of the shaft.  Havn't had a problem with slipping.
I heard that an old T Bird had a similar pump to the Tiger.
Don't know the year, but probably around 64.
        Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others