Bell Housings in the Lake

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Bell Housings in the Lake
From: Anita & Jim Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 22:07:28 -0400
At 05:57 pm 6/2/97 -0400, you wrote:
>You know, the 302 swap looks so straight forward, I think I would like
>to get one of those elusive dual pattern bellhousings---you know---the
>one with both the 5-bolt and the 6-bolt pattern on it. There are so many
>5.0 blocks with roller cams and 30-year better technology floating
>around, that resussitating the old 5-bolt 289 makes less and less sense.
>With a 4 barrell and no pollution controls, that small block would yield
>1/3rd more horsepower effortlessly. Yeah, i know it is thinwall and not
>as burly as the old castings, but maybe...
>    As it now looks like we are going to the Ford Motorsport Nationals
>in Pa. mid-month, that might be a good place to find one. I understand
>they have a helluva parts sale there. And BTW,I'll keep my eyes peeled
>for air cleaners so I can extort big bucks from you rabid-for-
>originality fatcats out there.
>     Does anyone know the Bellhousing parts number? and don't I recall
>someone advertising one for sale in the CAT classifieds about a year
>ago? And don't I recall a photo of one in the newsletter several years
>ago? Or is it easier to just send a check for a Lakewood?
>Al J. (non-stock and lovin' it)

Al,
        Years ago I used a Lakewood scatter shield in my Tiger II with
a Boss 302.  The Lakewood had two mounting places for the starter
with a "new moon" shaped knockout if you went to the outer mounting
holes.  I found that the Lakewood housing did not have the exactly correct
starter bolt hole locations and I totaled several starter gears as well as the
ring gear before I figured this out.  Note that the Lakewood ( at least the
one that is the steel rounded kind) requires that you adjust the Tiger
firewall with a hammer to clear the bulge around the starter.  This puts
a new hump near the feet of the passenger.
Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others