Re: Radiator Cleaner Results

To: "Chris S. Mottram"<Chris.S.Mottram@ecc.com>
Subject: Re: Radiator Cleaner Results
From: Allan Connell <alcon@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 19:01:07 -0700
At 04:42 PM 6/6/97 -0400, Chris S. Mottram wrote:

>Step 2 - Purchased a meat thermometer from the grocery store, measured the
>temperature in the radiator.  Maxed out at 180 farenheit but was reading
>about 110 celcius in the car (double it and add 30 made me think it was at
>about 250 f and should be boiling over).  Total cost $10 for thermometer.
>Some other fellow with a Tiger underwent a similar situation a week or 2
>ago on the list.  Thanks!  I could have spent a lot of money boiling or
>rodding out my radiator.
>
>Is the temperature in the radiator significantly cooler than the
>temperature at the sending unit/thermostat?  I sure hope not, or else I am
>not done yet.

Chris,

I think I am the bozo you referred to with regard to radiator temps.  To
answer your question with my limited experience, YES, temp should be cooler
at the radiator than the sending unit....when I did my test, I found that
the radiator hit about 180 when the temp at the sending unit hit about
210-215 (F, obviously).  From what I know, your range is a little out
there!!  You may have a gauge that needs to be replaced or recalibrated.
Try this:

(and do I need to say, learn from my stupidity.....aw, cut it out Steve and
Eddy...leave me alone!!!)  <excuse me, just preparing>

Ignore the reading on your gauge....remember what Tom Hall and others wiser
than I said......if it is not boiling over, chances are it is not
overheating.  First, spend $5-10 and get a NEW 12-13 lb. radiator cap.  Run
your test again getting your car up to temp.  Check the temp at the
radiator, then check the temp AT THE SENDING UNIT.  Just put your
thermometer in contact with metal very close to the sending unit and you
will get a fairly reliable reading (help me here guys....).  THEN take a
look at your gauge and compare......you may find as I did that the gauge is
bad.

You may still want to consider rodding and boiling, especially if it has
never been done and you are not sure as to the history of the car....not
too expensive and can't really hurt.  Like I said, I am considering it for
my Tiger!!

Hope this helps....who knows, we may have just started another interesting
thread that may get us off the Mg. kick!  BTW, did I ever tell you the one
about the early Mg. mags and melt down (white hot fire) when the brakes got
too hot..........

Regards,

Allan
B9472373