Re[3]: Magnesium Rods

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re[3]: Magnesium Rods
From: LeBrun@hii.hitachi.com
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 97 13:38:11 PST

     That's basically the story I read of the 1955 LeMans race. The press
     at the time blamed Mike Hawthorn because he swerved his Jaguar into
     the pits around Lance Macklin's Austin Healy.  Lance Macklin changed
     lanes into the path of the Mercedes, which rammed the Austin Healy and
     launched itself into the crowd killing over 70 spectators.  Mercedes
     was in the lead when they withdrew from the race several hours later.
     Jaguar subsequently won with their DType. Pierre Levegh was the
     Mercedes driver and he was  thought to be partly at fault because at
     the time he was well over 50 years old.  Someone younger with a
     quicker reaction time might have avoided the Austin Healy according to
     the press accounts of the time.  One of the British classic car
     magazines covered the story a year or so ago and had an interview with
     Lance Macklin.  This was a hard luck guy, later in the year he was
     involved in a accident in the Tourist Trophy event that killed a
     number of spectators.  He retired after that race.

     Jeff

     -I personnaly don't know how over time any other racing venues
     "stack-up" safety-wise, but I've seen some of the old film-clips of
     the "lead-sleds" racing around Daytona Beach on the sand within feet
     of the spectators,and no barriers were evident except a couple of old
     tires stacked up in the "turns".

     -Sadly, it's taken some extreme tradegies like the above to make
     motorsports safer for everyone.

                                 Phil