Tigerloob II

To: CMottram@aol.com, JEFF_CARTER@HP-Cupertino-om5.om.hp.com
Subject: Tigerloob II
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 18:33:15 +0100
A while ago there was a thread on the #18 Super Spies toy cars, with a
Tiger amongst the 5 "spy" cars and an extra 5 in the pack. One was a
Phantom Corsair, and I recall answering about that car with my best
recollection (which is non to good). While cleaning up my office I ran
across an old (1989) TRW Calendar. These are fairly hard to come by, but
since I'm a favourite of theirs I get some. Anyway, the pack-rat in me
paid off because a month was dedicated to a beautiful painting of the
car and a description, which I quote from for those who bought the set
and wondered what that car was.

Quote from 1989 TRW calendar of "Reflections of the Past"

"The Phantom Corsair

Ebony, with partially hidden headlights, knife-like bumpers, slit-shaped
windows and partially concealed wheel covers, the car merited it's
eeirie name.  Rust Heinz, of the Pittsburgh catsup company, designed the
Phantom and based it on a front-wheel drive Cord chassis with an
8-cylinder and 190-horsepower engine.  The Phantom's aerodynamic design
and cockpit instrumentation, including altimeter, barometer, and
compass, reflected innovations in the aviation industry.  Unconventional
seating allowed four passengers in the front and two passengers
backwards in the rear.  The only car of it's kind, the Phantom Corsair
made a movie debut in the film "Young at Heart".  The car still exists
as a part of the Harrah Auto Collection"

Remember, this is a 1989 calendar, and we all know what happened to
Harrah.  Part of his collection still resides in the Imperial Palace
exhibit in Las Vegaas, but I didn't recall it there.

Anyone for 57 Varieties, one car?

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                         _/
                    _/_/_/