9" Rear End

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 9" Rear End
From: Anita & Jim Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 1997 22:27:34 -0400
At 04:36 pm 7/4/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Jim
>
>My name is Bob Jones. I've noticed (on the net) that you've made
>conciderable modifications to your Tiger. You mentioned, some time back,
>that you had changed to a Lincon rear end.  I am trying at present to
>construct a Tiger for GT2 SCCA road racing and was wondering what model
>Lincon Rear end you used?  I'm considering use of the rear end from a
>Lincon Versile, ( not sure of the spelling) I found at a Auto Swap a few
>weeks ago.  Big disks and a 9" seems the way to go, but, I'm not sure
>of the years in which these cars were made, or the bolt patern,( other
>than it is 5 lug ) or of the track width.  ( rules say 64" max)   I have
>a set of 15X10 wheels available to me at no cost, but they are Chevy,
>and I'd like stay with Ford mod parts if possible. Can you shed any
>light on this subject?  Will this work? Will the rear end need to be
>narrowed If I use a 10 X 15 wheel with a 4" back spaceing?
>

>                             Grateful for any input
>                             Bob Jones

Bob,
        My tiger still has the original rear end. I do have a Lincon Continial
with 4.11 gears and a Ford Traction lock in the rear of the "project" Alpine
 body I have in the garage.  I am setting the Alpine  up for streight line
stuff,
 complete with wheel tubs.  I am using coil springs and four bar linkage.
 I cut off and rewelded the the original brackets on the Lincon rear.  The
 original Lincon bars now go to a completely scratch built frame and mounting
 brackets .I have the original four bars of the Lincon remounted.  I had the
rear
 end shortened to 45".  The rear frames are 39" outside to outside.  I wanted
 to keep the rear tires mostly inside the fender wells.  Had to enlarge the
wheel
 wells considerably for large tires.  It is a very major undertaking to do this
and I am still not done by a long shot.  Too many other things keep coming
up.  The 9" rear end is very heavy and will undoubtely cause a serious un-sprung
weight problem.  The calipers are also very heavy.  They also have an automatic
adjustment for the parking brake.  I recommend a complete overhaul of the
calipers and brand new disks ( got mine from Pep Boys).  The only reason I went
 with the  9" rear is that I have made space available under the hood for a
460 or
larger Ford motor.  The drive shaft for a big 9" rear will not fit the drive
shaft
tunnel so there is more work there.  I first checked to see if it would be
reasonable
to mount the rear with the original leaf springs.  With the size of the
calipers
and the overall size of the rear end shortened just enough to have the
calipers clear
 the original frames  the tires would extend quite a ways out of the fender.
It takes a lot of measurment to get things right.
        Unless you are making MAJOR power, I would recommend overhauling
your Tiger rear end and adding disks ( not the big Lincon calipers) .  It would
be a lot less trouble than the 9".  The un-sprund weight would also be a lot
better.  Others on the mail list have had hints on rear disks for the Tiger.
Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others