Paint Jobs and Update

To: alpines@Autox.Team.Net, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Paint Jobs and Update
From: "Chris S. Mottram"<Chris.S.Mottram@ecc.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 19:44:10 -0400

From: Chris S. Mottram@ECCI on 07/12/97 07:44 PM

I stopped by the local Cruiser Restoration guy who always has 50's American
Iron under restoration.  I had him give me a 5 minute ballpark estimate on
the Alpine (strait, very little surface rust....).  He said it would be
about $2,000 (US) and that the paint he would use cost $500.  It's PPG (a
two aprt paint with hardener). He would also clear coat to make it last a
long time.
Can somebody give me a quick overview of auto paints? i.e. general ranking
of the most comon types.  The guy mention being able to get a Maaco paint
job much cheaper but it is enamel and the prep work wouldn't be as
thorough.  I intend on keeping this car a long time so I don't feel bad
about putting a paint job on the car that costs more.  I want a nice
durable coating to keep the rust off!

UPDATE and thanks to all who responded to my problems,

Overheating is gone (knock on wood): Due to leaky bottom hose (tightened
it), sludge in radiator (ran through radiator cleaner, removed it fluhed it
backwards with the hose, out came a solder blob the size of a big marble,
out came a rusty bolt), defective temp gauge)
Clutch pedal stuck to floor, unable to bleed clutch hydrolics (new rubber
in master to tight, sping not strong enough to return piston - put back in
the old one), slave cylinder pitted and installed wrong by DPO then by DCO.
Got a brand new slave for $50 and installed it properly now I am king of
the road!

Hey, are any of you going to the Sunbeams of the South in Dillard Georgia
in September?  I think I am going.  I just want to make sure that I can
drive it that far without it giving up the ghost.

Thanks,
Chris Mottram