Re: Dana shim stack up

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Dana shim stack up
From: GCScoop@aol.com
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 02:18:21 -0400 (EDT)

<< I'm attempting to reassemble the Dana44 out of the Tiger and it appears
 that I have misplaced my shop manual and some supplemental Dana info that
 Roland sent to me a few years back.

 I'm at the point where I need to reassemble the backing plate, shim,
 retainer, seal flange assembly but I can't recall the correct order of that
 stack up.  I have the following...

 1.     thin shims
 2. thick round shim (retainer plate?)
 3. backing plate
 4. seal flange
 5. axel housing

 I know that the axel housing and the thing I call the seal flange are at
 opposite ends of the stack up, my question is what is the order of backing
 plate, thin shims, thick shim (retainer?) assembly?

 One reference I have says something about adding shims to "each end" of the
 axel equally to "retain the axel shaft spacer in a central position."  ,
 can anybody clarify that statement for me?

 I guess I'll be calling Rick for a new shop manual tomorrow but If anybody
 can help me out on these two questions I'd appreciate it 'cause I'd like to
 finish reassembeling the thing this week.

 Thanks!

 Frank Marrone

Frank,
The order is: From axle flange; Thin shims, (Hub bearing shims, split
equeally to both sides of axle), Backing plate, Thick Shim, (Hub bearing
retainer plate), Seal w/retainer. Don't forget the gaskets between the shims,
backing plate, thick shim and retaianer.

Gary Cooper,     Tiger Mk.II
                         84 Toyota Camry
    Co- Driver:      97 Z3, 96 3000GT