brakes

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: brakes
From: Anita Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 1997 21:06:29 -0400
At 07:19 am 8/5/97 -0400, you wrote:

>The brakes on my newly restored tiger to puslated at during high speed stop
>(interstate exit ramps) so I decided to have the brake rotors turned and
>install a new set of Mintex(spelling) semi metalic brake pads.  When I
>completed the job the car had terrible brakes.  It was impossible to lock
>up the front wheels regardless of the braking effort or the the speed.  I
>suspected that somehow the evil griling brake booster(not rebuilt) had
>decided to quit on me so I removed it and bleed the brakes.  There was no
>improvement in braking, but now the pedal effort was even higher. Next I
>reinstalled the original 50% worn brake pads. When pumping the pedal to get
>the caliper pistons back in the correct position it seemed like the master
>cylinder wasn't pumping any fluid.  After about 5 or 6 pumps the "feel"
>retuned to the pedal. This seem unusual compared to the brake jobs I've
>done before. The brakes now seemed to work as good as they did originally
>(with a little more effort).  Next I reinstalled the evil girling booster.
>The pedal effort improved again and the braking capability was as good as
>it was before I started this whole process.  The pulsating was also gone.
>
>Even though the brakes work adequately now I am concerned that either there
>is something wrong with my master cylinder (which I rebuilt during the
>original restoration process) or I have a blockage somewhere in the brake
>line.  Any suggestions???
>
>Bob Reynolds

   I have had problems with the flexable brake lines going bad inside
and blocking the fluid.  In one case there was no fluid going forward
and in the other case the brakes would not release.  Recomment
replaceing the three brake hoses.  Two up front and one on the rear axle.
Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others