Re: Hot Stuff

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Hot Stuff
From: ritchie@mcn.org (Armand & Lorie Ritchie)
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 09:04:12 -0700
>Don't know about "all" Tigers, but my early MkI has both C and F on the
>temperature gauge, with the F numbers larger.(BTW:212F=100C). The speedo
>is "double-calibrated as well, in both bold MPH and smaller
>Kilometer/hr. RPM is, of course, universal. This is usual British
>practice, so that they can sell the same car around the world. Wasn't so
>in the 50's. The home and US export MG's and Jag's had MPH only, while
>the Euro versions had Kilo only. Same with temps. Porsches of the late
>50's had both, but the Kilo were the predominant type face for Europe.
>
>Steve

Steve this reminds me of a story, back in the late sixties we had an Alfa
Romeo that was a european model (GT 1300 Junior) and had the speedo in
Kilometers only.
Well when anyone would look in the car they would see this speedo that read
220 kph and they would say (not knowing about the kilometers) wow does it
really go that fast. And naturaly I would reply, sure!!  Ha ha Nobody
caught on until one service man saw it and knew about the Kilometers.  Oh
well it was a good trick for awhile.  Later Armand Ritchie

ritchie@mcn.org
Armand & Lorie Ritchie