Re:

To: gary_winblad@juno.com (Gary A Winblad), anitabrt@mindspring.com
Subject: Re:
From: Dave McDermott <Dave.McDermott@cusys.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 09:57:44 -0600
        Gary,
        I can confirm the same finding as Paul. There is a difference. I
have built at least 10 different Tiger 260s and various 5 and 6 bolt 289s
over the years for different cars and have another 8 core blocks.
Consistently the unbored 260s have about the same wall thickness as the
unbored 289s. You can see and measure that through the holes in the top of
the block that go into the water jacket. Therefore if someone did bore one
of those 260s out to 289 there would be very little meat left in the
cylinder walls and significantly less than a normal 289 block. I have also
heard that the wall thickness is not totally consistent in a single block
and you could actually bore into the water jacket in certain places.
        Anyway in my experience with quite a few blocks they are different.
Who knows though with the thousands of 260s if somehow in some limited
production run that Ford might have used 289 cores for 260s. However I doubt
it and I have never seen one either in a Tiger I 260 engine or any other
260. It does not seem logical to me because I would think that there would
be very different heat transfer and cooling qualities between engines if one
type of 260 had a very different wall thickness than another.

        Dave