Re: heater hoses etc

To: joe brackin <joetiger@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: heater hoses etc
From: Will Seay <wseay@sprynet.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 11:54:36 -0400
> Subject: heater hoses etc
> Author:  joe brackin <joetiger@mindspring.com> at INTERNET
> Date:    9/26/97 9:50 AM
>
> Anyone out there with an Edelbrock performer/Holley 4bbl setup care to
> give some advice on heater hose routing. Did you use a spacer under the
> carb? If not, (that's my plan right now) what did you do about the temp
> sensor? Is there a replacement sensor that will go in the hole next the
> to the thermostat housing? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

*********************
Joe,
The British sending unit has the same number threads per inch as the
hole in the intake manifold.  The problem is that the manifold is
designed to accept a tapered pipe thread and the Brit sensor has
square-cut threads.  For what it's worth, here's what I did to seat the
stock sensor in my Edelbrock F4B manifold:

I put many turns of Teflon tape on the sensor threads so that the sensor
fit snugly in the manifold hole.  Because the Teflon tape resulted in
electrically insulating the body of the sensor from the seat (i.e. no
ground), I fashoned a compressable washer for the sensor out of solder
(mostly lead).  A few turns of solder will do the trick.  I then
tightened the sensor down, compressing the 'washer' and providing an
electrical path between the manifold and the sensor body.  Never had a
problem with the temp gauge reading wrong, so I guess the 'washer'
worked.  A better variant on this might be to solder or spot-weld a
ground tab onto the body of the sensor.  I didn't look into that.
--
Will Seay - B382001570 - wseay@sprynet.com