Re: Starter solenoid

To: "Parlee, Brad (ED&C,SLS)" <brad.parlee@edc.ge.com>,
Subject: Re: Starter solenoid
From: Will Seay <wseay@sprynet.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 12:05:51 -0400
Parlee, Brad (ED&C,SLS) wrote:

> I ran into a similar problem so I'm piling on another
> question.  My car was all stock stuff but I added an
> amp meter where does that go?  and
> where does the ignition light then end up?
> >
> > Larry Rominger wrote:
> >
> > ...the vehicle has four terminals, two of which are
> > marked "S" and "I" respectively. The wiring diagram
> > for a Tiger 289 shows one of these terminals is
> > wired directly to the #3 terminal on the ignition switch
> > while the other is wired directly to the ballast resistor.
> > The selenoid terminals are not labeled on the wiring
> > diagram. Does anyone know which selenoid terminal, S or
> > I is wired to the #3 terminal of the ignition switch?
******************
Larry,

The White/Blue lead from the ballast resistor goes to the "I"
terminal.  The White/Red lead from terminal #3 of the ignition switch
goes to the "S" terminal.

Brad,

I put an ammeter in my MKI about 100 years ago.  As I recall
(fortunately most of my memory problems are short-term) the ammeter goes
in series with the large Brown lead that goes to the battery (via the
starter solenoid).  The Brown lead is available in the harness that goes
thru the left-side hole of the firewall and is very convenient to the
ammeter mounting hole.  To put the ammeter in series with the Brown lead
strip the lead out of the harness and cut it such that there is enough
wire length to go to one terminal of the ammeter.  Connect the wire to
the ammemeter.  Then splice a wire from the remaining half of the Brown
wire and connect it to the other terminal of the ammeter. Be sure that
the wire you choose for the splice is at least as big and fat as the
original Brown wire.  Tape the harness back together, allowing the two
wires to the ammemeter to break out of the harness at the ammemeter.
The ignition idiot light will continue to work as it always did.

P.S.  If the ammeter reads backwards, reverse the leads.
--
Will Seay - B382001570 - wseay@sprynet.com