Re: Conversion Conversation

To: tartanad@ix20.ix.netcom.com, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Conversion Conversation
From: HW200 <HW200@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 20:05:05 EDT
Jeff at TT believes that after his post that there is "an end to this issue".
In fact this thread keeps unraveling throughout the list, arising in several
different forms at least on a monthly basis.

Point 1: Norm makes mistakes. So does his book. So do we all. So before you
start a witch hunt or ride someone out of town, all the correct information
should be in place. Questions like: "Can the current owner tell the difference
between an assembly line Tiger and an Alger" should be asked. If unknowingly
someone is selling a rebody or an Alpine V8, how can they be truly guilty.  If
they can't tell the difference now they couldn't when they bought it, and
chances are they are in denial of it being a "fake" anyway. It's hard to point
fingers without having all the correct info.

Secondly what constitutes a "fake"? When does a total restoration become a
rebody? If you are using Alpine body panels(manufactured at the same time the
Tiger was by the same company) to replace rusted Tiger  panels, that can
create suspicion too. Definitions need to be outlined, and I agree awareness
is good when it is based on correct info.  Incorrect information exists, and
it is destructive, as are witch hunts and driving unknowing individuals out of
town over a car, even a Tiger.
Hank