Re: Idle Restoration

To: Allan Connell <alcon@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Idle Restoration
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 08:46:10 +0000

Allan Connell wrote:

> Steve,
>
> Mark's comments reminded me.......I have indeed had this done in the past
> myself....regualr old moving company don'cha know.  When we relocated from
> Seattle to San Diego about 11-12 years ago, the moving company had no
> problem loading my '55 Chevy beater truck into the moving van. Though the
> laws require it, they did not even make me remove the gas out of the tank
> for the long trip.  Driver said, "Not to worry, I ain't spilled a trailer
> yet an' don't aim to start."  Oh well, his insurance.  Mark is right, if
> you are willing to wait a bit, you could get a pretty good deal for moving
> your pride and joy.
>
> Regards,
>
> Allan
> B9472373 (Cynicism Sucks!)

Alan, and Tigers,

The use of a "regular old moving company" to move a car is something I have
experienced.  When I was offered a CEO position requiring a move from Southern
California to Highland Park, IL, I had my new company move my belongings, which
included a Pymouth sedan and my Porsche 911S. They really were trying to
convince
me to sell the cars (fat chance), or send them by rail (sure!). Since this was
an
executive position, and they wanted me, I had a better negotiating position.

It wasn't until I got the moving bill, to authorize payment by my company , that
I realized why they were so reluctant. Freight movers are Federally regulated,
and their fees are controlled by govenment tariff (like airlines were).
Household
goods movers, like van lines, have different rates/lb than other classes of
cargo. They were glad to move my cars at "household goods" moving rates ($/lb.),
which are nuch higher than any other category, including (I believe) delicate
electronic equipment .They only took up a little volume in their van for such a
heavy ($$$$$) piece. This is a great idea, as they took good care of the cars.
But even Allied didn't have unloading docks with car ramps in Chicago! The real
issue is "who's paying the bill!"

Steve
--
                      < one first win, is all >