Update: Lowering top on early Tiger

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Update: Lowering top on early Tiger
From: "Elea & Jeff" <jfeit@enter.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 1998 12:41:04 -0500
Well, I am pleased to announce that I FINALLY got the top down and the boot
closed on my '64 Tiger.

First of all, the top was installed correctly; the only material which is
screwed to the body is under the man rail in the rear; the rest of it is
just hanging.

I found that part of the problem was in the pivot at the bottom of the
vertical rail. For some reason, there is a piece of steel, on the same
pivot, which is held by spring tension (and a small tab) to the end of the
vertical rail. There is also another piece of metal, which the vertical
rail rubs against; my guess is that it is there to provide friction to keep
the top from moving once it is down. Anyway, the springy piece had slipped
off the vertical rail, and was preventing the vertical rail from folding
all the way down on the "friction" piece.

Once that was fixed, it took some "working" but I finally got it down far
enough to close the covers. The side covers don't stay closed too well, but
once the main cover is closed and latched, it keeps the sides closed. I put
it up and down a couple of times, and it seems like the more I work it, the
easier it gets. The top did sit closed for seven years, so it was probably
a bit stiff.

Anyway, I would like to thank everyone for their help. I got 7 responses,
and if anyone would like, I can compile them into a single message and send
them to you. Drop me a note of you would like a copy of it.

Thanks again!

Jeff Feit