Microcell seats

To: Alpine List <alpines@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Microcell seats
From: Russell Maddock <rmaddock@petrie.starway.net.au>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 19:55:18 +1100
A question I've been meaning to post for a while:

I have an unusual set of seats in my Series III. They seem to be based
on Series III-V/Tiger Microcells, but are quite different to the
standard ones.

The parts of the frame which are visible and the seat back look to be
the same as those on regular Microcells. Mine have a different seat base
though. Instead of a one piece cushion, it consists of three parts.
There is a low centre section, with higher bolsters on either side,
evidently to provide better support under hard cornering. The bolsters
and centre part aren't sown together, each is a separate piece. Here's a
rough sketch. Where the centre piece meets up with the bolsters isn't
really a straight line, but that is more than I can manage with my
limited artistic ability.

from above:
_______________________________
|        |______________________|        |
|        |______________________|        |
|        |______________________|        |
|        |______________________|        |
|        |______________________|        |
|        |______________________|        |
|        |______________________|        |
|        |                                            |        |
|        |                                            |        |
|____|______________________|____|

>From the front:
____                                              ____
|        |______________________|        |
|        |                                            |        |
|____|______________________|____|

Originally I thought it must have been a PO modification, but upon
closer inspection they look factory. If they're not, someone has put a
lot of effort into them.

I've read about a competition version of the Microcell, used in some of
the works rally cars. I've been poring over photos, but all the works
cars I can find pictures of seem to use the regular seats.

Has anyone seen these elsewhere?

--
Russ Maddock

http://www.petrie.starway.net.au/~sunbeam