Re: Speedo calibration

To: TigerCoupe <TigerCoupe@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Speedo calibration
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 15:37:54 +0000
Thanks, Dick, for the experience. I had my Speedo tested in the same
manner. Found out it was in error more than the 185/60 R13's should have
accomplished. I felt pretty silly doing 78 mph on the freeway and
getting passed by everybody.

There is an alternate "fix", however, which is a good deal less costly
than re-gearing the speedo. The shop, here in LA, used the chalk
lines/cable turns to find the correct value and re-magnetized the
drivers and adjusted the tension. This put the calibration right on at
65 mph, a little slow by 2 mph at lower speeds and a little optimistic
by 2-3 mph at higher speeds. The speedo works on magnetic drag, and the
magnets get "tired" after 30 years.

The caution here is, since the gears weren't changed, the odometer does
not give accurate readings. You will either get better or worse gas
mileage.

Figured that was ok. My dad told me "Show me someone who knows his gas
mileage, and I'll show you a failure in life". Well, that was when gas
was a quarter a gallon, but the thought is still there. 10,000 miles a
year, at today's prices, costs about $675 at 20 mpg. If I could really
scream (occasionally) and sunk to 10 mpg, it would be worth it. Probably
spend more at Blockbuster, for 10% of the fun.

Steve
--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >