Re: rear springs

To: Frank Marrone <marrone@wco.com>
Subject: Re: rear springs
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 09:03:58
Frank, et al.,

I had leaves added to my stock springs and the set re-arced and powder
coated by E&C Springs in Escondido, CA.  Ph. (760) 747-5050. They did a
terrific job and it cost so little I can't remember how much. I'm sure
there are other good places around, but I can definitely recommend these
guys. Don't know if they would UPS them, but probably. There are a lot of
ways to go here, including the important questions of how much arc and what
spring rate, length of leaves, where to clamp, etc., etc.

Bob

At 08:04 AM 1/28/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Larry,
>
>I've got a set from Dale (I won't attempt the last name this time), PH: 909
>799 2099.  They were recommended by Gary W. and others.  I hear they are
>originally for some mini-truck application.  They look like maybe a leaf
>was removed to turn them into Tiger springs, not sure.  Dale lists the
>spring rate at 190 PPI, I don't know how this compares to stock. They have
>a lable with the "Betts" brand name and "made in the USA".  They are
>advertised as new, not rebuilt.  The locating pin on the spring is larger
>than the one on the spring pad on the rear end so the holes on the spring
>pads will need to be enlarged (drilled).  The spring leafs are about 1/4"
>narrower than the stock Tiger springs and I am still contemplating if/how
>to add spacers to take up the slack.  Dales springs use a small bushing
>(included) at each eye.  At $190, Dales springs are probably a little
>cheaper than completely rebuilding a stock set.  I can't comment on ride or
>performance yet.
>

>At 06:57 AM 1/28/98 -0500, Larry Wright wrote:
>>Charlie Nichols wrote:
>>>I ordered a set of rear springs from VB
>>That stands for Very Bad, right?
>>Now, every time I get a VB catalog, I look through it to see if there's
>>anything I want to get _from_somewhere_else_, and then throw it out.
>>
>>Sounds like rebuilding what's currently under the car is my best bet...
>>
>>Lawrence R. Wright
>>Purchasing Analyst
>>Andrews Office Products, Divison of USOP
>>PH 301-386-7923  FX 301-386-5333
>>lrw@aop.com
>>

>Frank Marrone          MK I Tiger B9471116
>marrone@wco.com                '97 Crown Vic LX
>                       Yamaha Seca 900 (aka XJ900RK)
>                       '79 Spitfire
>                       '66 Ford LTD