Re: leaking clutch

To: "James Pickard" <geowiz@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: leaking clutch
From: Anita Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 20:15:19 -0500
At 10:04 AM 1/28/98 -0600, you wrote:
>My clutch master cylinder appears to be leaking...and soaking a portion of
the carpet
.
If you used regular brake fluid, it is water soluble. Just rinse out with water.
Of course if the carpet is dirty then add detergent.  Just make sure you get all
the detergent out.  If you do it in the Tiger then be sure to have a wet/dry
vacuum
cleaner to suck up the water. Use a fan to dry it out after you get most of
the water
with the vacuum.  (Dry under the carpet  too).

 > Any better materials to>replace the padding besides more cheap foam rubber?

Previous mail indicated several types of good stuff.  Maby some one else will
 respond. ( The best is the thermal blanket material for the space shuttle; but
it is unlikely that anyone but one NASCAR team could get it.
  I seem to have lost

>fluid under the car on the speedometer cable.  How would it get there?
Tigers have double firewalls, fluid rund down between then out.

>I need to get all this fluid off the car to avoid corrosion?
Just hose it off to keep the fluid from eating the paint or undercoating.

>planning on trying a rebuild kit first.  Any reason that is a bad idea?

If the bore is in good shape then a light honeing will clean it up.  I sometimes
take a 1/4" rod, slot one end about an inch and slip a strip of 220 grit
wet or dry in it  and roll it up till it is slightly firm in the bore.  Spin
with a
drill and lube the sandpaper with water or brake fluid.  If you hone too much
the bore will be too big for the new seals and they will shortly fail again.
Have fun getting the boot over the rod.  Lube the boot  with Girling
rubber grease before you try it.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others