Crossmember Bolt Tech Tip

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Crossmember Bolt Tech Tip
From: Frank Marrone <marrone@wco.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 1998 12:57:28 -0800
I have a reprint of an old Tiger Tales Shop Note that suggests the use of
longer bolts for bolting the crossmember to the frame.  The note says to
use bolts that protrude far enough out of the threaded tube on the top side
so a locking washer and nut can be used.  This is supposed to reduce
flexing of the threaded tube due to acceleration and braking forces.  I
think the idea is that cumulative flexing stresses can lead to fatigue
failure of the threaded tubes(?).

Is this something that should be considered?  I'm rounding up hardware now
to bolt the crossmember back up to the frame so now would be a convienient
time for me to do this.

If this is worth doing, where the hell do you find Grade5 or 8 bolts that
have enough thread length to do this?  I'm going to try to run a die down a
Grade5 bolt today to see if I can make my own.

Frank Marrone           MK I Tiger B9471116
marrone@wco.com         '97 Crown Vic LX
                        Yamaha Seca 900 (aka XJ900RK)
                        '79 Spitfire
                        '66 Ford LTD