RE: Whats up with those letters? was: Crossmember Bolt Tech Tip

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Whats up with those letters? was: Crossmember Bolt Tech Tip
From: "Fraser,Ron" <Ron_Fraser@xn.xerox.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 06:45:11 PST
----------
From: Frank Marrone

I've noticed that on the Tiger and Alpine bolts you will often find a
marking "AUTO" and underneath some letters or numbers.  I've seen the
letter "T", "S" and "R" and the numbers "55".  What do these signify?
Tiger, Sunbeam, Rapier and the former federal speed limit or?

According to a STOA Tech Tip dated Oct 75

R = body bolt      similar to grade 5

S = tempered bolt        use grade 5 except at critical fastening areas

T = alloy bolt  use grade 8

        There is no exact parallel between SAE and Unified bolt so this is
 only a guide.    I have no idea about  "55".

Ron Fraser