Re: Tiger Gear Shift

To: tonyday@gist.net.au, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Tiger Gear Shift
From: BlueGolfer@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 09:24:45 EST
In a message dated 98-02-17 03:43:18 EST, tonyday@gist.net.au writes:

<< Question? The gear shift lever in my Tiger and '66 Mustang fastback need
 replating, has anyone sucessfully managed to pull one to pieces, the secret
 appears to remove the reverse lock out lever. >>
Tony,

As for the stick shift reassembly, the bottom of the stick has a little nib
that sticks out.  This is brazed in place.  The center part of that nib has
the end of the cable that runs through the T-shaped part of the handle.  To
remove it, you have to unbraze the bottom of the stick and pull the cable
through. Once the cable is out, the T-handle comes out.  Get both handle and
shifter stick rechromed and then rebrazed.

Alternately, I've heard of  some tiger owners that have drilled and tapped a
hole in the bottom of the shift handle.  After unbrazing and rechroming, they
use an allen set screw to secure the end of the cable. Warning,  I have not
done this, I went  the brazing route. With care brazing shouldn't hurt the
plating.

Have fun in the US.  There's some Tiger meeting in Big Bear, California.  I'm
sure the Tiger home page has some info on it.

Rob Kempinski
Houston Texas
the list's other rocket scientist