Re: Rear End Color

To: modtiger@engravers.com (Tom Hall)
Subject: Re: Rear End Color
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 98 8:02:29 PST

> For those inquiring minds:
>
> Glyptal 1201 Red Enamel (is) was produced by General Electric, use
> primarily as an electrical insulating material.  Application was by brush,
> spray (with appropriate Thinner) flow or dipping.  The most frequent use
> was dipping of transformer core & coil assemblies.
>
> Other than the possible use by Salisbury division of Dana Corp. on the
> center castings of Tiger rear ends, the most practical use has been on the
> inside of high performance engines.  I painted my ski boat engine  over 28
> years ago, and when it finally gave up with a cracked piston skirt last
> summer, there was absolutely no sludge buildup inside the motor.  Just as
> clean as it was when assembled long ago.  My quart of Glyptal, used on that
> motor is still in good condition after stirring and proper agitation.  This
> is the kind of great product we un-knowingly lose in the name of the
> environment.
>
> It was available from industrial suppliers as little as 5 years ago but the
> current EPA and air quality regulations probably preclude finding it
> anywhere in California.
>
> Tom

Tom,

Technically you are probably correct about the availability of Glyptal
in CA, but I mail ordered and received some fairly recently from
Eastwood.  It's available in spay-on and brush-on quarts.

I bought a can of spray-on Glyptal to re-paint the snake's diff (which I
haven't gotten around to yet), but found it was also a pretty good match
to the original reddish-orange paint on the blades of the electric
radiator fan and the Koni shocks.  I don't know what kind of paint Koni
used, but I suspect it wasn't Glyptal.  Brakleen easily removed the
paint from them, but didn't seem to have any effect on the diff's paint.

Roland