Re: Water hoses

To: Brock C Tella <brockctella@juno.com>, Tigers Den <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Water hoses
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 1998 12:04:36 +0000
Brock,

You're going to get a lot of references for the main hoses. For the
lower hose, I have used DAYCO 70682 and cut 5" from straight end. This
is also identified as EO7A3 AG1. It does not have a wire coil inside =,
to prevent collapse on vacuum generated by high flow. I recommend buying
some good stainless wire and forming a "coil" to slide inside hose. For
the upper hose I bought two Gates 20065. These are really high quality,
but I used two so I could but the Gano filter in the upper hose. The
filter consists of two brass screen cones, one with a hole at the cone
tip to let the pieces in. The only flaw is that there is no "bead" at
the ends on the Lexan unit. (Don't know about the brass one). You MUST
safety-wire the two clamps together between the worm gears (stainless
safety wire is included) to prevent them from slipping off under high
pressure. I also put a piece of stainless hose clamp band 180 degrees
from the clamp, with bends around the clamp to maintain a tie on both
sides of the clamp the two worm clamps hold. This is available from most
Mustang restorers or parts supplier's. They are available with a Lexan
outer tube, or a brass outer tube from CAT (member's only). It catches
all the loose stuff that can clog your radiator. Clean it out one a year
when you change your coolant/anti rust (another recommendation - and
used DISTILLED water, not tap or "de-ionized", with your anti-freeze.

A single piece upper hose is marked 080189 EB P HH80CH50 USA M.L.Y. Not
sure manufacturer, but must be cross-referenced.

Be careful with the placement of these upper hoses. Had one being just
scrubbed by rear of fan blades. Caught it just as fan blades were going
through the cord. Built a bracket with a half-piece of sectioned exhaust
pipe welded to a brace to bolt the stay to the manifold. Assures the
hose won't find it's way close to the 6 blade fan. (Paint Rootes Black,
on MkI)

As far as the heater hoses and expansion tank large hose is concerned,
there is only 1 choice, and a good one. Sunbeam Specialties carries
these and they are formed to fit perfectly, with no cutting. They also
have the oil cap/air cleaner hose, which also is contoured to fit.
Highly recommend them.

Good luck.

Steve
--