Re: Door Latches

To: "James Pickard" <geowiz@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Door Latches
From: Anita Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 07:51:37 -0500
At 10:55 AM 3/25/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Both my door latches are balky, hard to open and must be really slammed to
>insure that they actually latch.  Any suggestions?
>
>Jim Pickard
>B9473298

1. Get a big screw driver that fits the door latch screw slots exactly.
2. Use PB Blaster or similar penetrant to loosen things a bit.
3. Loosen the latch a little bit and move it slightly. Tighten a bit
then close the door.  Repeat  #3 until you get to the
one place where  the latch will work nice and smooth.
4. After finding that place, tighten the screws and grease the
latch assy in the door.

    The "right" place may be indicated by marks on the original
paint under the latch.

        Repeat item 1 to 4 every year or so.

   Item 1 and 2 are required to keep from rounding out the
screw slots !  You may have to use an impact screwdriver
if the screws are rusted.
Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others