5 Speed Transmission

To: <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: 5 Speed Transmission
From: "Wayne Pierzga" <w_pierzga@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 12:01:18 -0400
Hi:

I have recently removed the engine from my Tiger II by dropping it out the
bottom. Many thanks to all who provided advice on how to accomplish this.
The engine removal went surprisingly well with no damage to any parts on the
car. Only goof was I forgot to drain the oil from the transmission which
ended up all over my garage floor....

I have begun to disassemble the engine/transmission assembly and have
noticed that although the engine/transmission is 100% original it has a
6-bolt bell housing. I assume I am counting correctly - it is the number of
large bolts that are used to attach the bell housing to the engine block. I
believe it is original as the Ford 289 engine tags are still in place dated
'66.

Assuming I have counted correctly, then have some questions on the a
transmission.

I can rebuild the original transmission (I found metal shavings in the oil
and on the magnetic oil plug). Or I can replace the transmission with
something a bit newer with better gear ratios and perhaps lighter. Is there
a direct replacement I can use? I would appreciate any advice..

If I were to replace the transmission, is there a 5-speed unit which will
directly replace the original 4-speed without modifying the drive train or
the body of the car?

Thanks in advance for the advice,

Wayne