Re: under hood heat (dumb idea number101)

To: ritchie@mcn.org (Armand & Lorie Ritchie)
Subject: Re: under hood heat (dumb idea number101)
From: Allan Connell <alcon@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 12:17:50 -0700
Rich,

IMHO, there are NO dumb ideas.  Sounds to me like you are thinking outside
of the box.

Personally, I went the route of installing an electric fan with the stock
set-up.  Frankly, it only gave me about an extra five minutes before I got
into trouble.........

One recomendation to all is a suggestion Tom Hall made: "....if you are not
loosing fluid, you are probably not overheating..." <sorry for the
paraphrase Tom>  Try to get an accurate temperature reading with a
temperature probe.  I have an accessory that attaches to my Fluke digital
multi meter that is fairly accurate.  As well, most radiator shops and some
auto service centers now have a hand-held "heat sensor gun" (kinda looks
like a cordless timing light) that is highly accurate.  Compare these
readings to your actual gauge settings....you may be surprised....I was.
Keep in mind, a faulty volage regulator (under the dash) can have an impact
on your gauge readings, but usually to the lower end of the spectrum if I
am not mistaken.  Also, make sure your header tank is never much over
half-way filled when the engine is cold.  If it is too full, it will expell
fluid as there is not enough room to expand.

Also, keep in mind that Tom and others have also pointed out that the motor
runs more effeciently at 190-205 degrees (maybe wrong on the range, the
gray hairs are pulling at my 42 year old brain today). I found this to be
REALLY true when I made my modifications. With a 160 degree thermostat, I
could not get the car warm enough to run properly!!

My Tiger is pretty modified, TRW forged pistons, cam, headers and a Holley
that's too big.  My car used to get really hot, and occasionally puke some
fluid.  I made some pretty extensive mods on the cooling system that worked
for me.  These included the six-blade fan and a new, very specific radiator
core.  I live in San Diego and it does get fairly warm down hear.  So far
have tested the mods in up to 90 degree ambient with no problems.

I will not bore the list by resending my original report; I have been to
verbose on this issue as it is.  Someone missed my original report last
fall and would like a copy, please e-mail me back personally and I will
forward it on to you.

Have a super weekend.

Regards,

Allan
B9472373

PS.....With all of the extensive testing you have done over the years Dick,
it is about time we heard from the Tiger Coupe on this
subject......especially the time when you strapped yourself to the hood of
your Tiger!!