Re: Radiator Paint

To: alcon@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Radiator Paint
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 13:42:54 -0700 (PDT)

> Roland is right and makes a very good point.  I was not aware of this water
> based paint until I picked my re-cored radiator from the shop and got paint
> all over the trunk of my wife's Honda Accord.  THEN I found out it was
> water based.  I now regret not having them leave it bare metal and painted
> the damn thing myself.  Problem becomes even more evident after
> installation.  I am now noting bits of rust and corrosion showing through
> on the side straps for the side tanks.  Still does a great job of cooling
> but does not look particularly nice and is in a tough spot to touch up
> without some real serious masking off.  Point well taken Roland.  Hopefully
> I will know better next time.
>
> Allan
> B9472373 (San Diego County, BTW)

Yup, these places typically paint right over rust, grease, dirt or
whatever with this stuff.  It was tough enough getting it out of the
nooks and crannies of my U-joints, I can imagine what it would be like
removing it from all those fins.

As I said, this has happened to me twice now.  Short term memory is the
first to go, but I think I've got it now.

Roland in Santa Clara County