Re: Deluxe Shotgun Outfitting

To: Doug & Rett Leithauser <dleit@mintcity.com>
Subject: Re: Deluxe Shotgun Outfitting
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 08:07:36 +0100

Doug & Rett Leithauser wrote:

> My Tiger that (if you are faint hearted, don't read this!) has Alpine doors
> also had the tar paper wadded up in the right door, but none in the left.
> this apparently was standard equipment, but damned if I know why.
>
> Doug Leithauser

This cannot be coincidence, as apparently there are many of us with this
"feature". So I thought I'd take a cut at the rationale.

Right door insulation rationale:

1)  It was meant to keep the driver comfortable, provided he purchased the
"home" RHD model (the rest can go hang)

2) It was only done this way on the Export LHD model to keep the driver awake,
and the passenger from complaining.

3) The "Left Door Insulators Union -  Export Division" (LDIU-LRXFE), was on
protest strike for higher wages, as the wanted more money than the (RDIU-LRXFE)
because they had a steering wheel complicating their job.  Union rules required
that insulation be installed only after assembly of the car, so a higher
piece-price could be negotiated.  This issue is still in negotiation, and the
strike is still on.  These "workers" have been on strike since 1963.

4) The door insulation manufacturing sub-contractor accidently made only the
left side pattern.  Since the part ID was stamped on one side, the Specification
and Shop Planning manual could not be revised to reverse the glue-side as it was
written in 1604 in an Illuminated Manuscript, and could not be changed.

5) It was cheaper that way, and besides, by the time anyone would notice the
factory would be closed.

6) The left side pieces were a LAT option.

7) The lightening of the car, for racing competition, included eliminating
uneeded weight.  The removal of this piece was a LAT option.

{8->

Steve

With apologies to the Union of Illuminated Manuscript Scribes and the LDIU-LRXFE
(hang in there boys)

--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >