Re: More babble

To: Larry Wright <lrw@aop.com>, "Tiger's Den" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: More babble
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 09:09:40 +0100

Larry Wright wrote:

> Perhaps, but I don't think it approaches the sound issue the same way. The
> heavy glue-down stuff like Dynamat is supposed to suppress (?) the
> vibrations, the "drumming" of the metal panels in the first place, as
> opposed to muffling the sound afterwards. Of course, at the price of foam
> padding, I could afford to add a layer of that too, use both methods.
>

> Lawrence R. Wright

Larry,

The concept is to increase the mass of the flat panel to lower it's natural
frequency from the low frequency input from the road.  This is done by
increasing it's mass - therefore heavy.  The higher frequencies need to be
absorbed by a less dense media, therefore foams and fiberflass.  When heat is
involved, out comes the aluminum foil.  Some of the more expensive ones combine
mass, porosity of the rubber-like polymer, and aluminum foil.  Kill all the
dragons with one expensive lance.

I think you would want the doors and hard top insulated with the heavier
material to decrease feeling of being inside a kettle drum.  The aluminum backed
lower density stuff  are probably best suited for floorboards and dash  areas.

The seat cushions should be soft and conforming, backed by coils that are wound
to increase stiffness with distance, not like a constant spring factor.  This
would provide comfort as well as good support.  An impervious rubber-like layer
is recommended for nervous passenger side seats, or racing {8->.  Unfortunately,
that's not how Tiger seats are built.

Steve

--
                      < one first win, is all >