It's Tops!

To: "Tigerlist *" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: It's Tops!
From: "Larry Wright" <lrw@aop.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 10:26:44 -0400
Steve Laifman wrote:
>Actually, a friend has had a "T" top TR-6 for about 20 years now.
Steve, if it were anyone but you, I'd swear you were talking about a
Triumph Stag.

BTW, in a book about Alpines (by McGovern???), a chapter describes and
pictures an alternative; a hardtop w/a fabric 'center', from the windshield
header to the trunk lid (boot), leaving the rigid sides in place.The fabric
opened up like the top of a Citroen 2CV. Developed but never offered to the
public, if I recall the book. Duplicating this item might give the
semirespectibility of being an almost-factory-product, duplicated.

Jim Barret wrote:
>        If you will forgive the fact that the top is on a V6 Alpine then I
will
>describe my kluge.

There should be a good story behind the origin of the word "kluge"; if not,
we should make one up. Well?

>Here in Florida a vinyl plastic rear window on a rag top lasts
>about 1 year.  A Plexiglas hard top window is good for a couple
>of years and a lexan window is good for a year or two.
>Any one know of a nice glass window available for a normal
>Tiger hard top?

I recall an old tech hint about cutting up the windshield of a 1975 Chevy
Nova to make one. Somebody went to what sounded like great lengths to match
up the curvatures. Probably the best use of a 1975 Nova, in my experience
the worst autocross vehicle ever (disclaimer: never  tried 'crossing a Good
Humour wagon).

Lawrence R. Wright
Purchasing Analyst
Andrews Office Products, Divison of USOP
PH 301-386-7923  FX 301-386-5333
lrw@aop.com