Re: Shocks

To: Dave Binkley <dbinkley@argotech.com>,
Subject: Re: Shocks
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 22:35:30 +0100

Dave Binkley wrote:

> Any strong opinions on shocks.  Looks like the options are stock, Spax,
> or Koni.  If you go the extra $$$, which do people prefer Spax or Koni?
> My use will be almost all street driving and maybe two autocrosses a
> year just for fun.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave
> B9471930

Dave,

Do you like Chicken or Tomato soup?

 The extternally adjustable Koni's were specifically designed around the Tiger
need, as opposed to "what do we have that will fit".  I've been using Koni's
since 1959, and KYB's (unavailable in correct size for Tiger) in my Mustang.

 The externally adjustable Koni's were made for Rick, at Sunbeam Specialties, by
Koni and are dear at about $125 each.  They have a slot out the top that is
adjustable by included short screwdriver/tool.  I put them on the rear, at the
factory minimum adjustment, and they take the speed bumps nicely, though my seat
springs don't.

My fronts came from the PO with the regular Tiger Koni's.  To adjust them, you
must disconnect the bottom, collapse the shock, rotate the bottom, extend and
refasten.  This is the way it has always been done since my first Koni's.  Then,
the adjustment was to take care of wear, ao you could get new car performance
for 100,00 miles.  This may not sound like a lot now, but then, engines didn't
last that long, and shocks were replaced every 10-20,000 miles. Some repair
shops will do that to you now, if you don't now any better.  The rears I
replaced were 1963 Arstrong original stock, and they still felt pretty good in
hand collapse. The screwdriver slot at top of rod is new.  These are hydraulic,
not gas shocks, and act differently.

Every man to his own poison
--
                      < one first win, is all >