Re: motor mounts

To: Armand & Lorie Ritchie <ritchie@mcn.org>,
Subject: Re: motor mounts
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 18:38:29 +0100
Armand,

First, you MUST have an adjustable support on the motor, so it doesn't drop when
you remove the mounts, and so you can position it.

Next, you must have the correct mounts, which are NOT Mustang, but earlier
Fairlane.  One of the two have a Left and a Right, but I can't remember which.
I think it was the incorrect Mustang.

After the mount bolts on the motor mount are removed, watch the order of heat
shield and spacers.  If you don't get the spacers right, your fan will end up
kissing your rack.

The main bolts thru the frame must be removed to lower and remove/ replace the
motor mounts.  Watch out here, the only thing keeping the motor from the
nose-down postion is your own support.  Mine was done on a rack, and the
standard adjutable support was used.

Depending upon brand, the mounts vary in thickness a little.  It was enough to
make my six blade Ford Canadian fan, which had been clearance and ran well for
miles, meet the rack.  No harm, except a lot of noise, and some fan
removal/reshaping was necessary.  At least know I knew where and how much they
interfered.  Be careful, on torque the motor rocks, and brings the fan closer to
the rack.   What a "Racket".

No other disconnections were necessary.  I took the precation of grinding away
and rounding the left motor mount rear outside edge to provide more room for my
Motorsport right angle filter adaptrer.   Even if your not using one know, this
sharp corner serves no purpose but to knick your limbs and you may want to use
one in the future.

Steve
--
                      < one first win, is all >