Fw: Twisting the knobs

To: "Tigerlist *" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Fw: Twisting the knobs
From: "Larry Wright" <lrw@aop.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 11:33:15 -0400
Lawrence R. Wright
Purchasing Analyst
Andrews Office Products, Divison of USOP
PH 301-386-7923  FX 301-386-5333
lrw@aop.com

(After the Digest, I'm not used to the "reflective" List. Nonetheless, I
sent 2 posts today; for one I got my ditribution copy in 9 minutes; the
other I haven't seen after 4 hours, it must've "got lost". So I'm resending
it, you have a delete key & know how to use it.)

> From: Larry Wright <lrw@aop.com>
> To: Tigerlist * <tigers@autox.team.net>
> Subject: Twisting the knobs
> Date: Thursday, June 04, 1998 7:12 AM
>
> Jim Barrett wrote:
> >I made a tool to remove the knobs.  1/4" plate with a 1/2" slotted
> >hole and two small bolts located 3/4" apart on the centerline of the
1/2'
> hole.
> >The bolts were ground down to 1/16" for 3/8".  I promply twisted off two
> >sets of screws in the attempts to loosen the round chromed jam nut from
> the
> >black plastic knob.  Apparently I needed tough tool steel for the pins
> which
> >I don't have.
>
> Bicycle shops usually stock a similar tool for removing crank bearing
cups,
> many of which are flush (no projecting wrench flats) and are accessed by
> two of the little holes of the type you describe. Some have a fixed
> distance between the pins, some are adjustable; you'll want the latter.
It