Trans filling, incoming order, and a fundamental question

To: "Tigerlist *" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Trans filling, incoming order, and a fundamental question
From: "Larry Wright" <lrw@aop.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 09:00:32 -0400
        A pretty good night last night doing relatively light duty in the
garage;
should fire up the car finally this weekend.
        I needed to refill the trans after the speedo cable was reinstalled, and
the access door I cut into the side of the tunnel meant I could fill the
T-5 by the gravity method instead of using a little pump from _under- the
car. I shot up to Trak Auto, the local chain of auto parts discounters, &
bought a funnel w/a long flexible hose attached.
        One end of the hose into the trans, the funnel in my hand, I poured in a
quart of Synthetic ATF-- and nothing happened. The funnel was full, the
hose empty. Darn, there must be some kind of seal installed for shipping or
something? So I pour the ATF back into the can and start checking. Actually
this turned out to be a neat funnel. No seal, there's a valve at the base,
and the funnel is graduated. You can pour in the exact (+/-) amount you
want, then twist the valve to open. Cool! So, I pour in exactly 2 3/4
quarts of ATF, which would be perfect, except that Dale A's instructions
were for 2 3/8 quarts. 1/4 roll of paper towels later I was done. There may
be other variations on the funnel but mine is called What-A-Funnel, by
Filtool. Not bad for 2 or 3 bucks. There's even a cap so you can
partial-fill and store the rest of whatever fluid in the funnel for future
use.
        Yeah, an OK night. A cold beer, Black Sabbath in the tape deck (only in
the garage while Susan practices Mozart on the piano-- yuck!), and mostly
little stuff to do. Armor-all-ish stuff on the tires, 3rd application and
the tires haven't been on the car yet, and some more on a few interior
bits. The  hard plastic steering wheel center, the one that the padded
medallion plugs into, is grayish and soaking up the goop like you wouldn't
believe; may have to do the sand-and-clearcoat trick, which the ArmorAll
won't help.
        Also got another order from Triple-C Accessories. They catalog the
"straw
gambler hat" with almost every marque _except_ Sunbeam embroidered on the
band, it seems. They agreed that they could do it semi-custom, one at a
time, and there was no upcharge. It says TIGER in script that looks like
the emblem on the side of the car.Susan _did_ say she was getting tired of
me wearing my TE/AE baseball cap everywhere.
        Hello? Anybody out there? Are your keyboards broken? We have 300 guys
subscribed, and only ten post to the List? If ya wanna talk, I'll shut up.
Really! What kind of gum wrappers are in your Tiger's ash tray? What's the
steepest hill you've driven up (or down)? Do you know a secret cross
reference, like Borgward rear spring shackles fit a Tiger? Speak up, or so
help me, I'll have to tell of more exploits of the Kludge family!  :-)

Lawrence R. Wright
Purchasing Analyst
Andrews Office Products, Divison of USOP
PH 301-386-7923  FX 301-386-5333
lrw@aop.com