Re: Allards

To: johnson@ids.net
Subject: Re: Allards
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 09:53:57 +0100

Alvin and Lucille Johnson wrote:

> The Allard suspension may have been ahead of its time, but it never
> handled worth a s__t. A good idea poorly expressed. When Allards up at
> the vintage meets, they slow to a crawl in the corners, and could be
> passed by any little Brit with straight axels. Of course, they can pour
> it on in the straights.
> Al J.

Al,

You are correct, it handled like a pig.  "The Last Open Road", a book I highly
recommend, covered it neatly.  It handled more like a Tiger than anything else.
But, did you ever drive one?  My good freind lent me his.  WOW.  1600 pounds of
aluminum and Cadillac was potent.  It exceeded your wildest dream (in a straight
line) and cornered like a pig.  It was actually designed for "English Trails",
which is something only an Englishman could love.  Imagine a combination
Autocross and Dirt Hill Climb with mud holes.  A sports off-road machine.  And
Sidney made quite a name for his cars.

The scariest part was the steering.  The faster you went, the lighter the
steering effort.  The front wheels were coming off the ground.  When you reached
a corner, you had to slam the brakes on to get the tires back on the road so you
could steer it.

All in all, a great thrill for the stout of heart, and immortal driver.

Steve
--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >