Brakes: not the easy way out

To: "Tigerlist *" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Brakes: not the easy way out
From: "Larry Wright" <lrw@aop.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 08:05:43 -0400
        Last night I put the Garage Queen back up on jack stands (sniff!) to
check
out the remaining problems. The 1st test was to have Susan depress the
brake pedal, while I went around the car and tried to rotate each wheel in
turn; the idea was to isolate any individual brake that was not actuating
at all (causing the pull-and-veer effect). No such luck. In retrospect,
there's probably a pretty big difference between the torque a 2500lb car
can put on a wheel while at speed and the torque I can impart to the wheel
in the garage with my hands. One presumes that at least one brake's
effectiveness falls into that range. The Quest: find it. I wonder if
there's such a  thing as a "brake dyno", where the drums try to turn while
your brakes resist; hard to imagine the things that could go wrong during
such a process! Ok, then, how _does_ one evaluate the effectiveness of each
individual brake?

Lawrence R. Wright
Purchasing Analyst
Andrews Office Products, Divison of USOP
PH 301-386-7923  FX 301-386-5333
lrw@aop.com