More about these brakes

To: "Tigerlist *" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: More about these brakes
From: "Larry Wright" <lrw@aop.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 11:15:47 -0400
Lawrence R. Wright
Purchasing Analyst
Andrews Office Products, Divison of USOP
PH 301-386-7923  FX 301-386-5333
lrw@aop.com

 and Thomas B. Ballou wrote:
>Actually Larry, there is such a device.  I recall that when
>I lived in Florida about a generation ago, part of the annual
>safety inspection on cars was to drive the moving car onto
>a device that looked like a lift, at several mph, and to nail
>the brakes hard.

at which point I'd sail through the back of the garage. I've never driven a
Model A Ford, But I can guess their brakes are about like this. Assuming I
cannot find a place like this, I'll try adjusting the rear brakes 1st, &
inspect closely for glazed or fluid-soaked shoes. Then, up to the front. I
guess I'll pop the calipers off (main goal: leave hydraulics intact, I'm
tired of bleeding the system) and try actuating the brakes to ensure that
both "pucks" on each brake move. Anybody know how far the pads move before
the "pucks" pop out? How about putting a piece of sheet metal in there for
the pads to squeeze, or something?

Fraser, Ron wrote:
>(SNIP) Same with the front
> brakes the wheel should turn freely with little drag.  Also check that
you
> can push the caliper pistons back into the bores some fairly easily, if
not
> that piston maybe hung up or there is some blockage in the line causing
the
> fluid not to return to the master cylinder.

I wonder; _how_ easily? And would the fact that I was able to bleed the
system imply no blockage? The flex lines are braided stainless, BTW. I
think I got them from Doug Jennings.

Chris Richards wrote:
> Larry-  Generally a wheel that has sticking brakes is one with a caliper.

> Look for heat produced markings on the rotor or an extrally (sic) cracked
> or damaged pad.

Hmm; haven't been thinking about _sticking_ brakes here; more assuming that
a brake is under-applying, that's because of the poor stopping ability I'm
experiencing. I better check _all_ possibilities. Heat-produced markings?
Like, _blue_?

and:
>Keep the thoughtful and entertaining post coming

Minor discovery: humor don't fix sh*t, at least on the cars. I've owned the
Garage Queen for 7 years, and I'm frustrated how much still isn't right and
how little I know. BTW, I'm on the "reflective" List now, having trouble
telling which incoming messages are to me and which are to the List. Will
probably still submit "silly" posts, though, until Mark unsubscribes me.

Thanks, all, for the advice.

.