Re: tire questions

To: "Daniel Eldredge" <deldredge@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: tire questions
From: "Larry Wright" <lrw@aop.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 07:49:30 -0400
Lawrence R. Wright
Purchasing Analyst
Andrews Office Products, Divison of USOP
PH 301-386-7923  FX 301-386-5333
lrw@aop.com

        Dan:
        Some of the guys are running 14's and 15's on their Tigers; I stuck to
13"
wheels for a "period" appearance. Not sure that makes sense now. If I had
it to do over, as in not yet having bought new wheels, I would seriously
consider 14's. The Garage Queen has 205/60-13 Yokohama AVS's on it now,
just switched from 185/70-13's, I seem to be clearing the sheet metal
everywhere. Be very careful about wheel offset, the Tiger's tight little
fenderwells aren't forgiving in that respect.
        Ride is fine, have not yet tried aggressive cornering (see my posts
about
not having any brakes, you'll see why).
        If you're getting new wheels, and you won't be able to put fat meats on
the stockers, consider that most tire advertisements in the car magazines
are showing fewer high-performance choices for 13" tires; most "sporty"
applications start at 14" and go all the way up to 18". A new set of 13"
wheels may be obsolete once your new tires wear out.

> From: Daniel Eldredge <deldredge@worldnet.att.net>
>      I am considering putting new tires on my 1966 tiger and need to know
> what
> if any preparation the rims need to get them ready for the new radials.
> still have the 13 inch bias tires on the car now and the old tires are
> atleast 20 years old.  Also what are the limits in size I can put on to
get
> the best combo of handling and ride characteristics.  Thanks for your
help.