Re: Brake problem located (?)

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net, lrw@aop.com
Subject: Re: Brake problem located (?)
From: "Doug Leithauser" <dleit@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 12:17:56 PDT
This has been an "interesting characteristic" of Brit brake calipers,
they claim that you should not split them as this allows them to save 3
cents in each caliper rebuild kit by not supplying the square cut o-ring
that seals the caliper halves. Best of luck on this one, I don't know of
a source for the leaking seal, but if you find one old Brit car owners
everywhere will love you.

Doug Leithauser

        The caliper itself is leaking from between the 2 halves, inside upper
surface between the two "bridge bolts", as they're called in the service
manual. I bolted it back up and tightened the bolts several times in
attempts to stop it, eventually going _way_ beyond the 45 & 60 ft/lb
suggested, to no avail. It still weeps a bit, just sitting there; no
sense
pressurizing it merely to see it squirt brake fluid all over my car.
        I understand you're not supposed to "split" the caliper.