Altitude Changes

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Altitude Changes
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 20:40:27 -0400
Tiger Folks,
        Considering the problems of altitude changes on fuel
mixtures:
        I see 5 ways to solve the problem:
1. Back in 1963 I worked at a garage in Norman Okla. ( about
3000 or so feet above sea level.) My boss went to Ghunason Colorado
every year for Elk hunting ( 10,000 to 12,000 feet).  He had a completely
worn out WW2 jeep, so that year he had his men totally rebuild
the jeep from grill to taillights.  He was tired of having problems
on his hunting trip.  I drove the jeep after the rebuild and it was
perfect compared to what it used to be.  Well he took off to Colorado
and when he came back he was madder than hell at his men.  The jeep
wouldn't run worth a s__t he said.  I took it for a test drive and
it truly didn't run worth a s__t.  When the carb was disassembled we
found a paperclip in the main jet.  The boss had put it in to be able
to make the jeep run at all at altitude.  With the paper clip
removed, it ran fine again at 3000 ft.  So cure #1 is to carry a couple
of paperclips and install at altitude. Cost is minimal.

2. Carry a set of jets a few sizes smaller than normal and replace
at altitude.  ( don't forget new gaskets in case you need them.) Cost
should be less than $40 if you don't buy a complete gasket set.

3. If you have a HOLLY series 2300, 3310, 4160(1850) or 4150 double
pumper then check out Percy's "Adjust-A Jet" from JC Whitney ,for $85
each.  (Two needed for double pumper).  This is a metering plate with
externally adjustable main jets.   This was advertized in Whitney's
catalog (new products) that came today.  I also seem to recall a similar
item that has the adjustment remoted to the dash.  Don't have the info on
that one.

4. Change the carb out for the Holly aftermarket fuel injection, either
2 or 4 injector model. ( Big bucks)

5. Trailer your Tiger behind modern fuel injection car or truck and then
park the Tiger when you get to altitude and use a lot of paste wax.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others