Re: Pokin' Fun

To: rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
Subject: Re: Pokin' Fun
From: RSpontelli@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 01:48:51 EDT
In a message dated 98-06-22 23:20:46 EDT, rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu writes:

<< I apologize for succumbing to the childish temptation to poke at what I
 knew full well was a hornet's nest. I probably would not be so jocular if
 it were my ox that had been gored. And Ramon, a big mea culpa to most of
 your accusations. I did, in fact, participate in the "Test & Tune" at the
 go cart (aka autocross) track and, frankly, it did not occur to me at the
 time that this might give me an unfair advantage over a late arrival like
 yourself.>>

That's one of silly-ass sad parts of that story.  We DID arrive in time to
take advantage of the practice session.  And, since that was the very same
little track that we ran our first-ever autocross on, at Tigers United X, we
wanted desperately to have another go at it.  But when we got there and found
out that 1) not everybody knew about it; 2) that they had the competition
course map in the registration packet; and 3) there was going to be NOTHING
DONE to keep people from practicing on the competition course, the complete
assurdity of the situation overcame me.

The part of the noise we were making about the practice session wasn't for
us--it was for others.  And we weren't trying to get 'em to call it off,
either.  We just wanted 'em to run it the other way, block off some of the
options, do SOMETHING so people couldn't practice on the complete competition
course.  But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.  The way it was planned was the way it was to
be.  Ok.  If I'm going to be an asshole, I want to be the absolute best
possible asshole . . . Many tell me I came real close that night!

<< I was just happy to have an opportunity to sort out a newly put
 together car and simply have a little fun. By the time you showed up and
 complained, the dirty deed had been done (the CAT was out of the bag
 so-to-speak). Now I can only presume, based on the man of principle you
 claim to be, what your actions might have been had you arrived on Tuesday
 BEFORE the Test & Tune.>>

My actions were as they were, and they were BEFORE the Test & Tune.

<<Looking beyond this particular incident, I think we
 can all agree there are plenty of legitimate grounds for complaints that
 arise at every Tigers United. And many seem, at least from our own
 perspectives, to be inexcusable acts of stupidity or, worse still,
 concerted attempts to screw individuals or groups. Again, I can only
 speculate under which of these two categories the "Test &Tune" event falls.>>

The planning of the Test & Tune was a mistake.  Just a mistake.  I don't think
it was "evil" or "sinister" or anything like that.  I think it was just a
mistake.  Mistakes, are ok.  Mistakes are what happens when people do things.
It's how they learn to do 'em differently.  Nothing wrong with making
mistakes. I will not bore you and the others with my feelings about some
people's reaction to the news that they have made a mistake, and the way it
correlates to our dissatisfaction with Tigers United ever since.

 <<The next time a similar situation arises where you need the support of you
 "buddies" I promise to take some action of support rather than just play
 "Moody Richard" * and sit on  the sidelines. But, if you don't mind, at
 least try your best to make it fun for those of us who pitch in and also be
 willing to reciprocate when it's your buddy's ox (like mine for example)
 that's being gored.>>

I do have trouble with the concept that everybody's interpretation of "fun" is
not the same as mine.  I will try.  But I do have a disability here . . .

Next time Theresia and I come down to San Diego for one of those really-really
neat-o Sunbeam Owners Group of San Diego get-togethers, let's grab some suds
and I'll tell you the story of how the C.A.T. "Parts Department Fiasco" became
the "Spontelli Problem" 'cause I tried to get a letter published in the very
same damn newsletter that I had edited and published for two and a half years
of me freakin' life . . . with a typewriter  . . . and a light table made out
of the window from a washing machine door . . .

 <<But hey, don't try and talk me out
 of running the autocross, whether I'm competitive or not!!>>

I can't comprehend it, but I recognize that some folks feel the very same way
about the concourse.  I suspect some might even feel that way about the Rally.
Anybody go to Tigers United just for the Tiger Quiz?  The Popular Vote?

Ramon