Re: Rear-view mirror resto

To: JEFF_CARTER@hp-cupertino-om5.om.hp.com
Subject: Re: Rear-view mirror resto
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 15:03:50 -0700 (PDT)

>      I managed to loosen vinyl and remove mirror.  (A blow dryer works
>      great for softening the vinyl and glue.)  Question I have, "Is it
>      possible for the layman to restore or touchup the paint/coating of
>      mirror or is it easier to just have a glass shop cut a new piece?"
>
>      Thanks in advance,
>
>      JCarter

Jeff,

A couple of years ago I decided to replace the snake's rear view mirror
glass.  First I went to a local glass shop (Santa Clara Glass on El
Camino) and ask them to make me a new one.  The owner said no problem,
but he didn't have mirror glass that thin.  So I went to a local auto
parts store and bought one of those cheapie mirrors you clip on to a sun
visor and removed the glass from it.  The guy at Santa Clara Glass cut
me a new mirror out of this piece in about two minutes.  He said it
wasn't enough work for him to even charge me.

BTW, I've seen these mirrors in drug an grocery stores too.  The glass
is ~1/8" thick and is in a plastic frame from which it can be removed
with little effort.  Price is $2-3, if I recall.  Measure or take
your old mirror along to make sure it's big enough.

No, it's not worth doing yourself, IMO.

Roland