Re: leaf springs

To: larisab@ix19.ix.netcom.com, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: leaf springs
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 11:25:21 EDT
Dan-
I run Alpine springs on my Tiger and they definitely work, with a little
modification.
What needs to be done:
1. Take them apart
2. Re-arc to get ride height where you want it. I arced my own in Tom Hall's
backyard using a fixture clamped to the ground, some c-clamps and leverage
(read a length of pipe!) You can use your Tiger's springs as a "guideline" as
to how much arc to take out
3. Add another secondary leaf. You will have to grind off the "dots" to make
it fit flush
4. I clamped the leaf packs forward of the rear axle only. I did this to mimic
the old Mopar super stock springs, which helps with weight transfer and axle
wind up
5. Add a set of bolt-on traction masters. These work much better than the weld
ons.
I have been very pleased with the results. The resulting spring is a little
stiffer than stock and with the traction masters and unclamped rear leafs, the
car hooks up very well, as anyone who has seen it in autocross action will
attest.
Mike Wood
B382002273