Great TU XXIII, Thanks

To: Sunbeam Tigers <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Great TU XXIII, Thanks
From: Bill Goebner <wgoebner@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 12:56:29 -0700
Cathy and I sincerely enjoyed TU XXIII at the Big Bear Northwoods Resort.
Cathy thought that the resort facilities were one of the best that she had
experienced.

In my opinion, Jane and Steve Sage, deserve a well deserved thank you for a job
well done, ... very well done.  What is more impressive is that they appeared
to have a good time while doing it too.

I was also impressed with Steven Alcala's organization and control of the
Concours.  My car is too rough to be anywhere near contending but it seemed
that the Concours playing field was definitely level.  Thanks Steve.  I liked
the efficient way that the cars didn't have to be moved to the Concours.  When
we arrived at the resort, we were directed to Stock, Personalized and Modified
parking areas.  When it was time to judge the Concourse, the Tigers, etc.
didn't have to be relocated.

I also enjoyed the laid back, friendly and helpful people who attended and it
was a treat to see other interesting Roots vehicles too.

Ole must think that I am dense and I guess that I am in some cases.  I heard
his Sunbeam drive by and its purr was very pleasant.  The next day, his hood
was up and I looked at his engine which had some Sunbeam lettering on the valve
cover.  I counted the high tension wires going to the spark plugs (5) and asked
him if it was a 5 cylinder engine.
 Oops!  I guess I better look more carefully.  He told me that It was a 4
cylinder Volvo OHC engine and it was.

Cathy and I are not Rally experts but we went through the motions and had a
good time with it and got many of the answers.

After the very good Saturday buffet dinner, guest speaker, Dave Friedman, a
former photographer for Shelby Racing, gave a talk and slide show about his
experiences with the Shelby organization.  He said that the best part of his
employment was when they worked in the Venice shop although he didn't remember
anything about the the Tiger prototype.

We had to leave Big Bear early Sunday morning and missed the Autocross.  We
hope that everyone had as much fun as we did.

I wish I had met more "Tiger List" members but at least I met Steve Laifman and
Ross and Nina from Aptos, California.  Steve told me quite a bit about the
oxygen sensor setup that he has on his Tiger.  During the next Tiger event, I'd
really like to see more list members.

Our trip to Big Bear was interrupted about midnight on Friday when my no-name
electric fuel pump died on highway 5.  Luckily we were traveling with some very
good friends like Stan Clark and Jackie, Matthew Taylor and his girlfriend plus
Rob Guerrera and Jennifer.  Eventually we got a tow to a motel near an auto
parts store that opened at 7 a.m.  At 7:15 A.M. I had the pump replaced and was
ready to continue the journey to Big Bear.

Jane and Steve, thanks for a wonderful time,

Bill Goebner & Cathy

Bill Goebner - Cathy Lau